Iowa Cerebral Palsy Lawyer

Call (888) 471-5989 to speak with a personal injury attorney.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 10,000 babies per year in the United States will develop cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy (CP) is a condition that affects the communication between the brain and the body, due to a lack of oxygen to the brain at some point in time during development or birth. Muscle control can be limited, or even lost completely, rendering the patient virtually immobile. It can also affect speech, which can cause some people to lose the ability to verbally communicate. In its milder forms, cerebral palsy limits the ability to control the muscle of one hand or arm. With proper physical and cognitive therapy, patients with less severe forms of cerebral palsy can gain enough control of his or her limbs to lead a relatively normal adult life. For those less fortunate children, they may never know life outside of a wheelchair.

The majority of cerebral palsy cases occur during gestation, while the remaining percentage of cases occur during birth and even up to the age of three. Certain maternal and fetal factors during pregnancy can increase the risks that a child will be born with cerebral palsy. Many of these risk factors can be identified by a doctor during pregnancy; he or she may advise the mother on steps to take to lessen the risks of the baby being born with the condition.

The severity of the disease depends on the level of trauma and oxygen deprivation that the brain received. Many times, this happens during birth, and could have been prevented. However, there are some doctors who are negligent and fail to provide the necessary care to the mother or child. The time before, during, and after the labor process is a very crucial one for the baby. If at any point the brain is denied oxygen, this can be enough to cause CP. There are a variety of ways that a doctor can make a mistake in the delivery room. One of the most common ways is waiting too long before deciding to perform a C-Section. Another common error is not diagnosing infant distress in time.

If your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and you suspect that it is a direct result of your doctor's actions or negligence, it is in your family's best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer or attorney in Iowa as soon as possible. If the doctor is at fault, a lawyer or attorney can assist you in making a claim against your Iowa physician for compensation related to your child's condition.

Filing a Lawsuit and Finding a Lawyer
A lawsuit can be filed against your doctor if there is a strong case indicating that malpractice was the cause. In order to make sure your case is viable, it is imperative to meet with a lawyer in Iowa who specializes in cerebral palsy or personal injury cases and has a long history of winning them. Your local Iowa lawyer will be able to recognize if there are grounds for a claim, and what your chances of success are based upon previous cases they have been involved in. They may also be able to estimate what your compensation may be, based on past cases and precedents that have been set in Iowa cerebral palsy lawsuits.

The financial strain cerebral palsy can put upon a family can be large, and lawyers and attorneys know how hard the burden can be; that is why they do everything they can to get you the compensation you deserve. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes (NINDS) has reported that the average lifetime cost to a family with a child suffering with CP can be almost $1 million, not including hospital visits, emergency room visits, residential care, and other out-of-pocket expenses. A specialized and experienced Iowa cerebral palsy attorney or personal injury lawyer should fight for you to receive the maximum payment available. The money you win can help give your child a brighter future and better quality of life.


Legal•Info State Cerebral Palsy Information

Legal•Info State Resources

Find legal information and lawyers that specialize in Cerebral Palsy by state: