Ohio Cerebral Palsy Lawyer

Call (888) 471-5989 to speak with a personal injury attorney.

What is Cerebral Palsy and what causes it?
Cerebral refers to the brain, and palsy refers to a physical disorder. Together the two terms define a condition in which the brain can not control the movement of the body. Cerebral palsy (CP) is a condition that affects thousands of children every year. In general, cerebral palsy occurs when parts of the brain that control movement do not develop completely or are damaged. The disorders are incurable, but in addition, they do not worsen as the child grows. CP is not inherited or contagious, and is the result of either a birth trauma or a brain injury. Indicators typically show before the age of 3 years of age. Some indicators can be described as when babies have delayed in typical movements, such as sitting, crawling, smiling, walking, and rolling over.

Disorders are generally characterized by four categories: spastic (stiff movement), ataxic (loss of balance), athetoid (uncontrolled movements), and mixed (a combination of two or more). Spastic is the most common form of CP, occurring in 70-80 percent of all cases. The damage in spastic cerebral palsy stems from the motor cortex and the corticospinal tract. Ataxic is caused by damage to the cerebellum. Motor skills are hindered in this category, and auditory and visual difficulties are common. Athetoid CP occurs in 40 percent of all cases, and makes sitting, walking, and many involuntary movements very challenging.

What treatments are available?
Rehabilitation is a common treatment for children with cerebral palsy. Physical therapy with special equipment, stretching, exercises can all help to develop muscle strength and control. Occupational therapy aid children in hopes of future independence, such everyday activities like grooming and dressing. Language therapy is also sometimes needed to overcome communication problems resulting from poor mouth and tongue muscle control. Educational, and medical treatments are also available as needed by each individual child.

What is the difference between a birth injury and a birth defect?
In general, birth injuries occur at the time of birth or very soon after, typically while still in the care of medical professionals. Some typical birth injuries, or birth trauma, are bruising and bleeding beneath the cranial bones. On the contrary, a birth defect occurs during pregnancy and is outside the realm of the responsibility of doctors. Even with the modern technology offered today in America's hospitals, birth injuries are inevitable to human error.

How can I find a lawyer?
Recently, a family in Ohio of an 8 year old boy, was awarded $31 million dollars in compensation for medical negligence during their son's birth. He was deprived of oxygen for approximately 18-20 minutes during birth. Today he suffers from severe effects of cerebral palsy, for example he is unable to communicate, or walk, and requires 24-hour care. Unfortunately, the settlement does not make this young boy completely healthy, however his physicians were held accountable for their negligence and his family has the funds to provide the assistance that he requires.

If you believe that your child with cerebral palsy is also a victim of medical error, then it is essential that you contact an attorney immediately. Obviously, Ohio has competent lawyers who are knowledgeable and understand birth injury laws. Treatments, medications, and outfitting your lifestyle to accommodate a child with birth injuries can be costly, so seeking the monetary compensation is only natural. Birth injuries are avoidable, and you have placed your trust in the professionalism of your doctors, so when they make a mistake that affects your child's life, you must take action. Your infant can't fight for his/her rights, so as the parents it is your duty to make right of the doctors wrong. Call an Ohio lawyer today to find out if your case is viable.


Legal•Info State Cerebral Palsy Information

Legal•Info State Resources

Find legal information and lawyers that specialize in Cerebral Palsy by state: