Medtronic Pacemakers

There are now a number of devices to treat or correct certain heart ailments, and Medtronic is one of the top manufacturers producing these cardiac rhythm management (CRM) devices. Of these, their most popular device is the pacemaker.

A pacemaker is actually the term that refers to the pacing system, which is comprised of the pacemaker, the pacing lead, and the programmer, two of which are implanted surgically inside the chest of a patient. The pacemaker itself is a metal case holding an electronic circuit and a battery that transmits a bit of electrical pulse at a given time. The pacing lead is an insulated wire that transports the electrical pulse from the pacemaker to the heart so the beating of the heart will continue. The third component of the pacing system is the programmer, which is stored in a clinic or a hospital, and it is used to keep track of the workings of the pacemaker and pacing lead inside the heart. This specialized computer is also used in adjusting the pacemaker's settings in accordance to the needs of the patient.

The pacing system's components are designed to work hand-in-hand to alleviate bradycardia symptoms by increasing the heart rate so the oxygen needs of the body can be met. Bradycardia is the slowing of the heart rate, which causes shortness of breath and weakness in a patient. The pacing system is only meant to end bradycardia symptoms through the treatment of the slow rhythm of a heart, though, and is not a cure for heart diseases or a preventive measure against a heart attack. The pacemaker is the only known treatment for bradycardia, and has aided approximately two million patients over the past 50 years.

Persons with Medtronic pacemakers in their chests are said to be exposed to serious risks if they were implanted with a defective one. The affected pacemakers are Kappa Series 600/700/900 and Sigma Series 100/200/300, and were manufactured between November 2000 and November 2002, and were implanted more than five years ago. Defective Medtronic pacemakers have been found in very few patients since the device was produced. Right now, recalls are issued every time defects on pacemakers are found at a scale that is large enough to be alarming. This is to parry the possible hazards to be brought by the device to the patients who were installed with it.

If you were implanted with a Medtronic pacemaker and are suffering from injuries that could have been a result of the defects of your heart device, it is best that you consult a product liability lawyer now, in addition to your doctor. This type of lawyer will help evaluate if your current ailments are really due to some defects in your pacemaker. If your suspicions are found to have grounds, then the lawyer that you hire will guide and help you file the necessary case against Medtronic. Being the manufacturer for the pacemaker that was implanted in you, Medtronic will be the one responsible to answer for whatever you suffered from because of their product.

Your lawyer will help you file a claim of personal injury against Medtronic. This claim will entitle you to get compensation that will cover your medical expenses, as well as the continuing treatment you may still be undergoing for the injuries that you got because of your defective Medtronic pacemaker. He or she will see to it that you get the maximum compensation you deserve, whether through an out-of-court settlement or through a court litigation. If Medtronics will offer you a settlement amount that you and your lawyer feel will compensate for all your expenses and the other losses that were incurred because of your pacemaker, then he or she will help work out the settlement deal.

More often than not, these lawyers will evaluate your case for free. Many lawyers are also willing to work on your case on a contingency basis, which means that they will only charge you for the services that they rendered on your case when you have already received the compensation that was awarded to you by the court. Don't let your the company cause further-causing harm to you; contact a lawyer today.