Economic Recovery For Accidents And Injuries

Call (888) 471-5989 to speak with a personal injury attorney.

If you have been injured in, or suffered property damage because of, an accident, you may be eligible for economic recovery. The law has been written to ensure that accident victims receive adequate compensation for their losses. Depending on the damage or injury suffered, you can recover costs for medical care, lost wages, mental stress or property damage.
When people are seriously injured in an accident, there are usually very high medical expenses involved. Additionally, disfigurement due to an accident can cause mental stress. Not only can you sue for medical costs, property damage or mental suffering, but you can also sue for future medical expenses. These will be estimated and included with your current medical bills. If you are unable to enjoy life to the same extent that you did before, or if you continue to suffer pain from your injuries, this too can be included in general damage awards. Economic recovery can even include damages paid to an uninjured spouse or parent for the loss of a normal relationship with their spouse or child.
If someone you love dies due to an accident or injury, and you have a legitimate right to sue, and you can seek economic recovery for loss of companionship, sometimes called loss of consortium. Dependents can receive compensation for loss of income, based on what the deceased would have earned if he or she had lived. Not only family members can receive these damages, but also domestic partners and anyone who was economically dependent on the deceased.
If your injury affects your income-earning potential, you can sue for these future lost earnings. You can also recover wages that were lost while you recovered from the injury. Pain and suffering damages may also be recovered, although it is hard to put a dollar amount on pain and suffering. The courts can take into account your present situation and estimate the potential trajectory of your injury's effect on the future. If you are an active person who suffers serious injury, which would probably effect you for the rest of your life, you can pursue damages for the loss of your lifestyle and the pain you will endure. This can also be deemed a permanent disability.
It is also possible to seek economic recovery in an assault case. If you are assaulted and you file a civil suit, the plaintiff may be responsible for compensating you for conditions such as humiliation, shock or grief. This is on top of your medical damages.
After an accident or injury, you may be entitled to many different types of economic recovery damages. A good personal injury attorney will discuss all of your options with you, and help you proceed in bringing a case against those whose negligence led to your accident or injury.
Possible damages for which injuries are recoverable may include disfigurement, future medical expenses, general damages, household services, loss of consortium, loss of consortium of a child, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of society and companionship, lost earning capacity, lost wages, medical expenses, medical surveillance, mental anguish, pain and suffering, permanent disability, present cash value, and special damages.
For more information on your economic recovery for accidents and injuries, contact a personal injury lawyer attorney. You may find a qualified attorney at the American Bar Association (ABA) website, which has a locator feature that will help you find a lawyer that best suits you. If the attorney you work with is well equipped with the knowledge of personal injury cases, he/she will be further able to aid you in your financial recovery.


Legal•Info State Personal Injury Information

Legal•Info State Resources

Find legal information and lawyers that specialize in Personal Injury by state: