If You Owe Paying Your Federal Debts

Call (888) 473-4416 to speak with an attorney.

One of the biggest creditors in the world is the Federal Government. Not only does the Federal Government dish out literally billions of dollars a year in student loans alone, it is also the most powerful, the most complex, and the most diverse entity in the world. This means, if the government gives you a loan, and you default on that loan, it has absolute power to collect in any way it sees fit. So, if you owe the government delinquent taxes, audit disallowances, guaranteed and direct student loans, (housing, farm, business, student loans), benefit overpayment's, and other miscellaneous administrative debts, the government can do everything from garnish your wages, seize your property, place a lien against your property, and in some cases, you can even go to jail.

So, what can you do if you owe federal debts and you are having trouble paying them? You certainly can't sue the government, but what you can do is consult a tax attorney. A tax attorney or lawyer, a debt collection lawyer, or a bankruptcy lawyer. These types of attorney's will know the ins and outs of the United States Federal Government's complex system of debt laws, which can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. While they cannot build a case against the government, they can help negotiate a payment plan on your behalf, and if necessary, help you file for bankruptcy. It is important to keep in mind that in the case of student loans, it is virtually impossible to get these types of loans discharged.

If you fall into any of the debtor categories listed above, contact a tax attorney or lawyer, a debt collection lawyer, or a bankruptcy lawyer right away to avoid any additional penalties, interest, wage garnishments, or jail time.

There are several approaches you may take in order to relieve a federal tax debt, or remove an existing federal tax lien. If you have the money available, the best thing to do is to pay the balance in its entirety. It is possible to use a credit card to pay the balance since most credit cards interest rates are lower than the interest charged by the IRS. If you do not have the money readily available to you in full it is possible to arrange a payment play with the IRS. It is important to abide by the payment plan, the tax agent assigned to your case has the ability to cancel the agreement and proceed in the next step of the collection process if payments are missed. Offer and compromise is another tool one is able to utilize if they owe back taxes. If you were unable to come up with the amount needed, you can offer the IRS a lesser amount and the IRS could compromise.

While there are steps to take in relieving your federal tax debt, it is wise to consult a tax attorney who is knowledgeable with the United States tax laws. You cannot sue the federal government, but your tax attorney can give you valuable advice on the steps you need to take in order to remove this debt and additionally give you advice on how to prevent the same mistake in the future.

Due to the nature of federal debts and the federal government, it's best to steer clear of general practice attorney's and the Yellow Pages. It's best to seek out lawyers that specialize in federal debts such as taxes, student loans, etc. An easy and efficient way to contact an experienced tax attorney or debt collection lawyer that can help you with your case is to visit the American Bar Association (ABA) website. The site features a lawyer locator that can help you find a professional tax attorney or debt collection lawyer in your area. You can also contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for free legal advice.