What Can I Be Reimbursed For If I Am Injured In A Truck Accident

If you have been injured in a truck accident, and the fault of the truck driver has been established, then you are protected by the law and are entitled to receive damages and compensation for your injuries.

Under the law, any negligent party in a truck accident has to compensate the innocent party for any injuries sustained by them. The law provides for the innocent party to receive economic and non-economic damages.

Economic Damages

These damages are paid in four areas:

Medical costs incurred for injuries
Future medical costs, if any
Loss of wages due to lost time at work
Future loss of wages, if any

Thus, not only are you entitled to receive all medical expenses that have already been incurred in treating your injuries, but you can receive damages for any future medical expenses that you are likely to incur in the future for treatment of your injuries.

Economic damages are also awarded for lost time at work. If your injuries from the truck accident have caused you to miss work, and this has resulted in wages being lost, then you can recover such wages from the at-fault truck driver as damages. You can also recover damages for loss of future wages. If you are unable to go back to work for an extended period of time, or if you are permanently disabled and will no longer be able to work, the at-fault truck driver is liable to compensate you for such loss of future wages. Age can also play a role in how much in damages you may receive, because a younger person who sustains a life long injury may have to pay more in medical expenses than an older individual. There is no cap on how much can be awarded in damages for economic damage reimbursement. The family of a person killed in a truck accident may receive payment for a loss of consortium or services of his or her spouse. Furthermore, funeral expenses may be paid, in the event of a death due to a truck accident.

Non-economic Damages

The law also provides for you to receive compensation for any pain and suffering, mental anguish, or loss of enjoyment in life, which you have suffered because of your truck accident injuries. These are known as non-economic damages. The at-fault driver is liable to pay such damages, the amount of which may differ from case to case. Many states have a maximum limit for pain and suffering damages, while others do not, and this will determine the amount of your pain and suffering damages.

In addition to receiving money for your lost time at work, injuries, and pain and suffering, you may also receive punitive damages in some circumstances. If the truck driver who was at fault for the truck accident was driving recklessly, or was under the influence of drugs and alcohol, or if he meant to cause you harm, then you may be awarded punitive damages, which are meant to punish the at-fault truck driver for his negligent actions. Depending on the state, there are certain limits to how much can be received for non-economic damages.

The damages in a truck accident case can be recovered either from the truck driver who was at fault, or from the trucking company that employed the driver. In order to determine how to maximize the amount of compensation you receive, it is important to seek the advice and assistance of a truck accident attorney. They will be able to use their expertise and skill to your advantage and get you the best compensation possible.


Legal•Info State Truck Accidents Information

Legal•Info State Resources

Find legal information and lawyers that specialize in Truck Accidents by state: