Oklahoma Workers Compensation Lawyer

Call (888) 966-9241 to speak with a workers compensation attorney.

As an employee in Oklahoma, you have the right to file a claim for workers compensation benefits if you are injured on the job. If your claim is denied, you will need the services of an experienced workers' compensation lawyer attorney. These lawyers will take your case with no money down and will collect their fees only if they win your case. Their fees are capped at 10-20 percent in the state of Oklahoma.

According to the U.S Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 4.5 million injuries and illnesses are reported in private industry workplaces each year. This means that roughly five workers per 100 full-time workers are injured at work or become ill in the workplace each year. Certain work laws exist to guarantee that workers who are injured in the workplace will receive permanent financial awards. These laws were created in an effort to solve any kind of dispute outside of the courtroom.

You are required to report your injury to your employer immediately. If there is an accident at work, it is important that you report it even if you don't feel you have been injured. Failure to report an incident can hurt your case if you find out there is an injury later. Employers are required to post information on a notice board, outlining the procedure you should follow when reporting an accident or injury.

On-the-job injuries can come in the form of accidental injury, or overuse injury as a result of repetitive motions. Overuse injuries are more difficult to prove but not impossible. Your employer's insurance company will decide whether to approve or deny your claim. As with any other insurance company, the claims adjuster will try to disprove your claim or pay as little as possible. If you are denied, you have the right to appeal the decision to the Oklahoma Industrial Commission.

You are allowed to represent yourself in these proceedings, but the insurance company and the court will require you to follow all the same procedures as an attorney. It is almost impossible to represent yourself successfully in such a complicated legal system. You will likely receive a phone call shortly after you file for benefits. The claims adjuster will request a taped statement and they will use kindness and compassion to convince you to give it. Do not give any taped statement until you know your rights and you have reviewed your case with an attorney. Your lawyer will likely tell you not to give a taped statement at all.

This is a difficult situation, as the adjuster will request this before your claim has been approved or denied. You may feel that since you are telling the truth, you should just do it. The problem with this is if your claim is denied, they will use your statement against you. If your claim is small, simple, well documented and your employer is cooperative, you can probably handle it on your own and get back to work relatively soon.

It's in your best interest, however, to consult with a workers' compensation attorney to make certain that you get the fairest treatment and the best settlement possible as compensation for your injury and suffering. You can find a workers' compensation lawyer by visiting the American Bar Association website. The American Bar Association website features a lawyer locator function that allows the user to search through workers' compensation lawyer attorney profiles in each specific city and state. Access to the site and profiles is absolutely free.


Legal•Info State Workers Compensation Information

Legal•Info State Resources

Find legal information and lawyers that specialize in Workers Compensation by state: